1. A British explorer born in the 18th century who later became a Canadian, he is considered to be one of the greatest explorers who ever lived. His nickname was ‘the Stargazer’ and over his lifetime he mapped millions of square kilometres of North America. He was the subject in one of the episodes of Ray Mears’ Northern Wilderness, a programme broadcasted in BBC. Name the explorer.
2. A great swimmer who has won five Olympic Gold medals, he is also famous for playing the role of ‘Tarzan’ in a number of movies. He was the first person to swim a 100m freestyle in less than a minute. Name the former swimmer cum actor.
3. An American director primarily known for movies which have a supernatural element to it, he is also the recipient of the Padma Shri from the Government of India. His first movie was called ‘Praying With Anger’, and his company is called Blinding Edge Pictures. Name the director who we are talking about.
4. This book was written by author Yann Martel from Canada, and won the Man Booker Prize in 2002. The protagonists of the story are Piscine Molitor Patel and Richard Parker. Acclaimed director Ang Lee is making a film on this book which is supposed to be released around the end of 2012. Name the book.
5. Director Ang Lee was the first person of Asian descent to win an Academy Award for Best Director for this film. It had Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal in leading roles and was nominated for eight Oscars, winning three of them. Name the movie.
1. David Thompson.
2. John Weismuller.
3. M. Night Shyamalan.
4. Life of Pi.
5. Brokeback Mountain.